Sunday, March 06, 2005

Texas vs the South

James has observed that THE SOUTH and TEXAS are two separate entities.

Bravo!

That is correct. I don't have time to do actual research to confirm this, but I bet it exist. I know from personal experience this is true. Here's why.

I've lived in Texas for almost 4 years. Before that spent all my life in the South.

  1. In Texas you do not necessarily get served sweet tea.
  2. In the South there is a lot of Black influence, in Texas a lot of Hispanic influence
  3. The language is similar but not the same (even though we both use y'all that does not mean anything. I heard that y'all has actually gone mainstream. Looking into this for a possible future post.
  4. The food is different. Texas=Tex/Mex whereas in the South the food is "soul" (take too long to explain here) or seafoodish. Texas does have a coastline on the Gulf as do most Southern states (including Georgia and SC who have an Atlantic Coast; excluding Tennessee)
  5. No moon pies in Texas (yes I realize that moon pies are specific to the Deep South, but this is a difference)
  6. Texas has a emphasis on cattle for livelihood while in the South there is pecans, watermelons, peaches, and peanuts etc. etc.
  7. Texas have the most pride of any one in the USA. Everything is Texas this or Texas that. You would never hear about something being Miss (except mud pies) or Ala or Tenn or SC. No sir. Texans are the proudest people when it comes to their state. You really are your own country. I guess that is why YOU out of all the poeple can fly your state flag level with the US flag.
  8. Depending on how where you are in Texas or the South will determine how much Native American influence is there.
  9. I would say Texas and the South are not the same but are likable cousins.
  10. I should also say that some of my critique could be that I live in a large city in Texas whereas in the South I lived in a rural community. I am recognizing my comparison as being potentially city vs country rather than Texas vs the South.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Pecheur said...

Hey Vince,

A nice hello from us out here to ya. First off thanks for stoppin' by. Enjoying the chat with ya.

Granted Texas is big (in fact it is bigger than FRANCE) but so is the Southern region. But your point is well taken because I've heard people here talk about the East Texan vs the West Texan and still don't know the difference. But that even exists in the South. Alabamians are not to be confused with Mississippians and especailly not with Tennessians and vice versa.

I think you may be right about the amount of Hispanic influence in the Northeast, but there is still a some influence. In Dallas for example they have elected their first Hispanic sheriff. But I imagine, like you said, there would be more Hispanic influence the closer to the border you go. However, I am not sure I would consider the city of Dallas as Southern simply because every time I have eaten at a restaurant there and have ordered "tea" I have gotten unsweatened tea. Now, sweet tea is not the only distinguishing mark of Southern culture, but I would place it in the top several things needed in order to be Southern. And I guess I have observed good ole Southern cooking in East Texas, (I have not been to far west)so that makes sense.

I would agree from my observations that the Northeast does not identify too much with the cattle rancher thing. But they drive them Texas editions trucks. If someone were to make, let alone drive, a Mississippi or South Carolina vehicle, they would be laughed out of the country. Sometimes I wonder if Texans really wish it were the Republic of Texas as it was years ago. I would hate to lose them but man they could have better pulled it off than the succession from the Union by the South could have ever done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home