Thursday, June 02, 2005

Cooter Brown

***WARNING*** THIS SECTION IS NOT DEALING WITH SOUTHERNISMS BUT SOUTHWESTISMS OF DONALD BLACK

Dad burn it ER, you got to it before I'd could get it published.

Well that's all OK and all. I had always wondered that same durn thang!

Cooter Brown. He is not the mechanic on the Dukes of Hazzard (which I thought growing up). It is simply someone drunk as all get out. So this is one of them ther expression that has a wide usage, in the South and Southwest.

He says Cooter Brown may come from Paul Dickson's list of drunkness in his Words where the innocent ant or coot was described as "drunk". But we do not know who Mr. Brown is.

I have also heard other terms of innebreation as

"drunk as skunk"
" 3 sheets to the wind"
and some more colorful ones which I will refrain from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home