Wednesday, July 06, 2005

WamP(F)us cat

So I am wondering how do ya'll pronounce this word. I've always heard it was womfus cat. But folks around here call it wampus cat. Today I even heard that something is all wampus meaning cattywanked.

Maybe I should ask my neighbor she has a ton of womfus cats running around.

WomF(P)us cat: a stray (or alley) or wild cat usually pretty mean unless tamed at an early age. However after googling the term wampus cat (thanks to ER for bringing this to my attention), here's what I've found: Legend of, Wikipedia, and some football team's mascot

Now the last one, a football team's mascot is the context I heard wampus cat here in Texas. But I've heard it used for an ole mean stray cat back home, and with a slight difference in pronunciation, e.g. womfus cat. There has to be a strong connection between the Applachian mythical creature and the womfus cat. Strange how it has slightly evolved.

5 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

OK. I lose a Southron point. Never hyeard of a wofus cat or a wopus cat. I think I mighta hyeard of a wompus cat, though, now that I think of it.

Also, you might as aqell go ahead and deduct a point from Oklahoma for lack of sweet tea. I mean, you can get it, but you don't habve it runnin' in the creekbeds like they do in L.A. :-) On the other hand, there is no meal served anywhere in the state for which a cold Coke is not an appropriate accompaniment. (And sometimes that would be an orange coke, or a Pepsi or some other soft drink.)

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Pecheur said...

Maybe it is wompus. I've never heard it either way.

And heck I like a good ole coke cola drank wif my meal. Although I ain't too fond of Pepsi but if it's the only coke to drank I'll drank it. I'm just happy to get a meal, coke or no coke. =)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Hey, Pech, google "wampus cat." That's the critter I was thinkin' of!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Pecheur said...

OK so its wampus cat. I'll make a note in the title. Can't wait to see what comes up with Google. Here goes.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

OK, OK, I know you got a lot on yer mind, and you got a lot to be thinkin' ahead about between movin' back to L.A. and then off to FRANCE for God knows WHAT reason -- the dang heatherns ... and now, of course, it occurs to me that that might BE the dadgum reason yer goin' -- I NEED A SOUTHERNISM FIX. (Try to convert some of them Izlams, wouldja? Please?)

Here's one to gitcha goin' again:

Drectly.

Hmmm?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home