Sunday, January 22, 2006

"Go Cut Me A Switch!!"

When I wuz a young'un, When I ever got out'a line, my Daddy would sometimes send me ta get him a switch.

Most of ya know what a switch is, but fer those of ya what don't, I'll 'splain it up fer ya...

A switch is a piece of equipment made out of wood, long and slender, usually a simple branch cut from a small tree in the yard. You flick it at strategic times and locations in order to change a young'un's mind. (Usually works like a charm, too.)

In some families, it also proves to be a great source of Cardio-Vascular Exercise for Dad as well.

My Daddy would make me go and cut my own switch (and it better be a good'un, too, or he would go and get one that HE liked, and tha beatin' would be twiced as bad...), and most of the time, just havin' ta go and do that wuz enuff ta cause me ta straighten up. When it wadn't, Dad would grab my arm with one hand, and flick tha switch against my lower hind leg with the other, and I would holler and hop around and around him while he installed my new "striped stockin's."

And I was not allowed to cry about it afterward, neither. Dad would tell me "Dry up, now. If you had done what I told you in the first place, then this wouldn't have happened to you."

It taught me a lot of different lessons all at once. One is, do what you are supposed to do. Obey and respect authority, or you will be punished. Another one is, If you don't, and you get punished, then it is your own fault. Another one still, is that nobody wants to hear you complain about what happened to you because of the trouble you got yourself into.

Dad believed that corporal punishment should always be the last resort, but was sometimes necessary, and Dad as a rule did what he had to do, whatever that was.

Have y'all ever had a switchin'?

Did'ya hafta cut yer own switch?

Did'ya larn' anything?

11 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Kc said...

Ah learnt that mah hine-end was cunectud ta mah ears cuz ah'd listen-up better aftahwerd. ;-)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Yeah, me too.

Amazin' how that works, ain't it?

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Daffy76 said...

Tug's had one thing-a-goin fur him that I didn't, ya'll. Our Daddy 'uld send him or our brother to pick a switch fur me. Tug's the oldest of us young-uns so he didn't have to worry about us little-uns pickin switches fur him.

Had to tell Marley to "Dry it up," just this mornin'. Nothin' beats turnin' into your folks.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Pecheur said...

IIII LOVE ITT

Ya'll talkin my talk now.

Anywaz, I never went for a switch. i just got a belt on my derriere as they say here.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Un cienturon pour votre derriere, afin de avoir le tranquillite?

(Pardoney mon francis, sea-food plait...)

Pech, are you in France?

Ah hear that they speak a whole differnent langwidge over yonder.

How in the Sam Hill do they understand each other?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Mama ER tells the story of when her daddy sent her to get a switch for him to use on her, and she couldn't find one and came draggin' in a tree LIMB about as big around as she was, all cryin' and afraid he was gonna whup her plumb to pieces. It made him laugh so hard he picked her up and hugged her and forgot all about whuppin' her!

She tole me that tale when I was a young'un with the warnin' that such would not be repeated! :-)

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger KEvron said...

my sister and her husband raised two perfectly wonderful kids without ever having once applied corporal punishment (the "time out" method proved to be remarkably effective when they were little'uns). my brother has five great kids, and he does result to corporal punishment. go figger.

KEvron

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dang! I'm squirmin' in my seat just thinkin' about it! The whole backs of my legs are tinglin', and it was almost 40 years ago!

That ole willow tree we had was THE DEVIL!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, I know zakly whut yuh mean. I member my bruhtha John goin' out tuh git a switch and brangin' back a twig. Hah hah hah. That done got 'em in worse truhble than buhfoh.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have never been switched, but my granddaddy switched my older cousins. i was always swatted with a wooden cooking spoon on my hind-end. talk about tingles!

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the switch a number of memorable times from my dear mother. She was very kind but when it came to disciplining me she did not let me get away with anything. One such time I went to a trip without her permission, i made up her signature and went to the trip, man she found out and when i came back she had me go with her and fetch a switch, she also selected one. Yes i got it that day with two switches. I screamed and jumped and promise i would never do that again as my mother kept hitting my backside multiple times. The next day i had breakfast, lunch and dinner standing as i could not sit, such was her wrath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home